If you’ve recently built a website, or you’re about to embark on the web design process, one of the most obvious goals is to make sure that people can easily find your site. It needs to rank high on the list of search results in Google, Bing and other search engines. But improving your SEO takes some careful planning.
Here are five things you can do to improve your SEO so you can be found in search engines.
Get an SEO baseline so you can compare it to future results.
First, you need to know where you’re at right now. What does Google and Bing think about your site and where do you appear in their results for key phrases that you’ve determined are the most important for you? You’ll want to know:
- How are people coming to your site now? Do they just know you’re there and type your address into their browser? Or are they going to Google and searching for you that way. This is important because SEO is meant to bring in more people to your site through organic traffic (people who find your site through search engines without knowing your web address specifically).
- What key phrases are people searching on Google to find your site? This is really important to understand because you can tell which key phrases turn into leads and customers. Then you can be sure to build more content around that.
Create Original Content
Now that you have a better idea of the key phrases that are bringing you more leads, you can start to add content in the areas where you’d like to see more growth. Focus on the key phrases that aren’t optimizing yet and create content:
- More pages on your website related to the key phrase
- Blog content related to the key phrase
- Video content on the topic
Don’t Forget the Most Basic SEO Strategies
It sounds obvious, but so many people ask us to review their sites before we begin to work with them and we find that the most elementary SEO tactics are missing. Page titles and descriptions need to be added into the meta data before a site even goes live. Make sure you use logical and keyword-filled page titles and descriptions. It might not seem like much, but it matters to Google!
Introduce Your Site to the Search Engines
Another useful SEO tactic is using Google’s Webmaster tools. We set this up for our clients so that we can then submit a site map to Google. They almost immediately know what pages we have. It seems to decrease the time it takes to get found for the most important phrases because we’re able to feed content straight into the search engines.
Make Sure You Have the Right SEO Tools
Some of these things you may be able to get done on your own, and even better, some of them are free! But to really put all the pieces together and make sure that your SEO is integrated with your sales strategy, you’ll need data that goes further than what is available in the free stats offerings. Hubspot is the closed loop analytics system that we recommend for not just improving SEO, but for ultimately increasing inbound leads and increasing sales through a variety of tactics.
Hubspot allows you to:
- Monitor your position in the search results.
- Increase the number of leads through your website content strategy and landing pages.
- Understand which key phrases are creating the most leads.
- Track the leads through the sales process and even once they’re customers.
- Communicate with leads beyond just your website through landing pages, emails and social media.
You’re invited to download our free ebook on 25 Website 'Must Haves' For Driving Traffic, Leads & Sales. It will further explain how SEO is really integral to the success of your company and how it plays a huge role in increasing the inbound leads that you need to close more sales.